Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Talk About It, Talk About It ...
A Dozen Don'ts for Powerball Players
1. Don't forget to buy tickets by 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time today. (That's Dolly Hershey of Conshohocken getting hers.)
2. If you live in Pa., don't buy tickets in Delaware, or you'll have to pay state-income tax on your winnings. (Unless you want to stay anonymous. Only Delaware lets you do that.)
3. Don't forget to sign those divorce papers.
4. Don't stay in a relationship you plan to end Thursday.
5. Don't let friends hold the tickets they bought just for you.
6. Don't let that "trustworthy" guy who runs your lottery pool go home without forking over copies of the tickets and the list of participants.
7. Don't play Hurley's magic-jinx numbers from ABC's Lost, unless you're OK with splitting the jackpot with 275,000 other people.
8. Don't lose your tickets. (Photocopies and convenience-store surveillance tapes won't help.)
9. Don't get your hopes up.
10. Don't forget to check your numbers. At least twice.
11. Don't forget to sign your winning ticket and put it in a very safe place, while you search for a lawyer and a financial planner.
12. Don't spend a dime without first making a bid to buy the Phillies from the current ownership.
Also, check out the front-page Inquirer story about ways to spend the jackpot.
How would you spend your $123 million after taxes?