Monday, July 31, 2006
The Great 2006 Salary Dump could be good if the Phillies spend that money for impact players, could be a disheartening mess if the goal's just to save money.
But one thing's clear: As GM Pat Gillick says, the team's rebuilding and might not be a contender for a couple of years.
So maybe it's time to sum up our feelings with a new slogan for the Phillies.
Here are my Top 12 ideas. Bet you clever dogs out there can do even better.
1. We Will Spend Money on Pitchers
... of martinis for our next owners' meeting.
2. Watch Our Players Win Multiple Titles (With Other Teams)
3. One Postseason in 23 Years Is Better Than Nothing!
4. You Gotta Disbelieve
5. We Owe You One Dozen
6. Trust Our Brain Trust: Monty, Bill and Charlie
7. Mission Impossible: Fixing This Bullpen
8. Ryan and Chase, and the Quest for an Ace
9. "Please Go to Church. Pray for Us."
10. We Play on Grass. We Keep Blowin' Smoke. Get the Connection?
11. Bobbleheads, Dollar Dogs and the Phanatic -- What More Could You Want?
12. Quit Whining, or We'll Buy the Sixers, Too