Morning News
and more from the Philadelphia Inquirer.



The Inquirer
• Home page
• Front page
• Local • U.S. & world
• Sports • Business
• Arts / Lifestyles
• Weekend • Q&As



philly.com
• Breaking news all day
• Blogs & podcasts


What Is Early Word?
The Philadelphia Inquirer's experimental online "morning show", which began in Sept. 2005, went on hiatus in the summer of 2006, after a gradual shift to putting more of its content directly on Philly.com.



About the Host
Peter Mucha, husband and father of two, grew up in Cherry Hill and is a lifelong Philly sports fan. He's been writing and editing for The Inquirer for 18 years. His motto (at least for today): "If I'm not brief, give me grief."

View Blogger profile.

Tip on posting comments: After you click a comment link, select "other" or "anonymous" in the pop-up box. That way, you won't be asked for a password.





Early Word logo
The Inquirer's ever-evolving way to start your day. Email. Phone: 215-854-2388.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I Got Robbed While a Camden Cabbie 

With yesterday's attempted cabbie strike, this is as good time a time as any to share my cab-driving stories.

Summer of '69 and '70, I drove Yellow Cab in Camden. (I think those were the years.) I'll never forget Charlie, an old gap-toothed inebriate who once had me slowly drive around, yelling to stop whenever he saw a woman in a front yard. Then he'd yell at her, "Hey, get in the cab! Hey, lady, get in the cab!" If she even looked up, he'd say, "I'm Jersey Joe Walcott! Get in the cab!" but no woman was buying this skinny old dude was the famous heavyweight later turned sheriff. Some of them said, "Go away, Charlie," which is how I knew his name. Between attempted (and always rejected) pickups -- honestly, I swear this is true -- he'd occasionally bounce off the seat, the only person I ever met who could burp and fart simultaneously.

Then there was the woman who got in the cab crying. Until she recognized a man in a car driving past. "Follow that car!" she hollered. Ah, impetuous youth. I followed. When the car stopped, a well-dressed couple got out and went into a restaurant on Broadway. My passenger crept to the door, and, hunkering down, peered inside. She returned, asked clueless me for a description of the other woman, then begged me to go into the restaurant and get a good look at her. Ah, impetuous youth. I strolled through to the men's room, used it, and got a good look on my way back. My female fare was upset at what I said, and had me drive her home. Must have been around the Fourth of July, because I remember the sound of amatuer fireworks going off.

It could have been the next night that I got robbed, because again I remember hearing fireworks. I dropped off a fare in a part of Camden normally I avoided at such early-morning hours. But as the couple got out one side, two young men, late teens say, got in the other. "Take us to North Camden," said one, sounding shaky. "No, your mom don't live in North Camden," said the other. "She live in Parkside." Guy doesn't remember where his mom lives? Yeah, right. I'm getting robbed, I figured. On the way to Parkside, I'm thinking of ditching the cab in the middle of an intersection and running into West Jersey Hospital. But I didn't, figuring at worst I'd be out some money. Had to be more nervous than I thought, however, because as I tried to back the cab into a spot under a streetlamp, and got the angle all wrong, I nearly hit a sycamore. Before I could straighten the vehicle, an arm comes around my neck, something is poked into my neck (a gun? a finger?), and I'm being asked how much money I have. They get my $21, and tell me to lie down on the front seat until they tell me to get up. I did, hearing the fireworks and thinking I'd just seen that trick on TV for giving a thief time to get away unseen. And, this is when something happened that shows life is the greatest writer. Suddenly, the front passenger opens, and there, staggering in the street, is a wino, holding a paper bag, I think. He takes one look, lying on the seat, parked at a bad angle, and drawls, "I don't want this cab!" and slams the door! I went to the nearest cab stand, just a spot on Haddon Avenue, and radioed the dispatchers, some of the gruffest women I'd ever met. But tonight, oh, were they attentive. Not that I sensed they cared. I was excitement! I told them where I was, and before I know it, another cabbie skids to a halt in the street, jumps out, waves a gun in the air, and says, "Where'd they go? Which way they'd go?" I lied with a pointing finger and said something like, "That way." Later, I got called to the police station to go through mugshots. No luck. Weeks later, I read in the Courier-Post that undercover officers had busted a cab-robbing ring. I got called in again. Another cabbie was looking at mugshots, puzzling over a few he picked out. An officer suggested, "How about this?" while tapping or swapping two photos. "Could that be the woman, and that be the man?" Clever cross-dressing bandits? The cabbie sat back and shrugged, rolling his eyes and saying he couldn't make that ID. I did make one. Face in one photo could have been one of my robbers. Soon, they brought that guy in wearing handcuffs. "Is this the guy?" I was asked. I said no, this guy was too tall, too light-skinned, too old. Was I sure? I wasn't afraid, was I? No, it wasn't him. When I took the job, Yellow Cab promised reimbursement if we ever got robbed. When I got robbed, Yellow Cab promised reimbursement if someone got convicted. Never saw that $21 again.


Go to: Early Word = Philadelphia Inquirer = philly.com = Lighter Side

Most Recent Posts
• President Bush's Sneaky Plan to Erase National Debt

• Hey, Our Ice Caps Are Melting ...

• Near Death Experiences?

• Health Care for All?

• Laser Zaps Cellulite Safely

• Bacteria Makes World's Strongest Glue!

• Urologist's Rap Rips T.O.

• Night of Heart Tugs and Zingers

• Eagles Schedule Is Out: Predictions, Please

• The Man With All the Answers




 Early Word Archives

   •  September 11, 2005
   •  September 18, 2005
   •  September 25, 2005
   •  October 02, 2005
   •  October 09, 2005
   •  October 16, 2005
   •  October 23, 2005
   •  October 30, 2005
   •  November 06, 2005
   •  November 13, 2005
   •  November 20, 2005
   •  November 27, 2005
   •  December 04, 2005
   •  December 11, 2005
   •  December 18, 2005
   •  January 01, 2006
   •  January 08, 2006
   •  January 15, 2006
   •  January 22, 2006
   •  January 29, 2006
   •  February 05, 2006
   •  February 12, 2006
   •  February 19, 2006
   •  February 26, 2006
   •  March 05, 2006
   •  March 12, 2006
   •  March 19, 2006
   •  March 26, 2006
   •  April 02, 2006
   •  April 09, 2006
   •  April 16, 2006
   •  April 23, 2006
   •  April 30, 2006
   •  May 07, 2006
   •  May 14, 2006
   •  May 21, 2006
   •  May 28, 2006
   •  June 04, 2006
   •  June 11, 2006
   •  June 18, 2006
   •  June 25, 2006
   •  July 02, 2006
   •  July 09, 2006
   •  July 16, 2006
   •  July 30, 2006
   •  August 06, 2006
   •  August 13, 2006
   •  August 27, 2006
   •  September 03, 2006
   •  September 10, 2006
   •  September 17, 2006
   •  December 31, 2006
   •  April 29, 2012


Philadelphia
Sports Links

General philly.com sportsInquirer, Daily News columnists610WIPWPENComcast SportsNetNBC10CBS36ABC
Football philly.com footballPhiladelphia EaglesSoul
Basketball philly.com basketballSixers
Ice Hockey philly.com hockeyFlyersPhantoms
Baseball philly.com baseballPhilliesCamden River SharksWilmington Blue RocksReading PhilliesTrenton ThunderAtlantic City SurfScranton-Wilkes Barre Red Barons
More Sports philly.com golfphilly.com collegesphilly.com high schoolsKixxWings